Brooke BEALL

Father: Samuel BEALE JUDGE Col.
Mother: Eleanor BROOKE

Family 1:
  1. Catherine BEALL

                            _John BEALL ________
 _Samuel BEALE JUDGE Col. _|
|                          |_Verlinda MAGRUDER _
|--Brooke BEALL 
|                           ____________________
|_Eleanor BROOKE __________|


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0b-UNREGISTERED (5/28/97) on Mon Jun 23 12:44:48 1997.

Ninian BEALL

Father: James BEALL , Dr.

Family 1: Ruth MOORE
  1. John BEALL
  2. Charles BEALL , Captain
  3. Ninian BEALL
  4. Sarah BEALL
  5. Hester BEALL
  6. Jane BEALL
  7. Rachael BEALL
  8. George BEALL , Colonel
  9. Mary BEALL
  10. Thomas BEALL
  11. Margery BEALL
  12. James BEALL
Family 2: Elizabeth GORDON
  1. Thomas BEALL

 _James BEALL , Dr._|
|                   |__
|--Ninian BEALL 
|                    __



Selected information from a D.A.R. article written by Ruth Beall Gelders
in 1996:

Ninian Beall held a commission as a cornetist in the Scottish-English
Army under Leslie raised to resist Cromwell, and fought and was made
in the battle of Dunbar, September 3, 1950. He was sentenced to five
years of servitude and, after a short stay in Ireland, was packed into
the hold of a prison ship with 149 other Scotsmen and sent to Barbadoes,
West Indies

About 1652, he was transferred, still a prisoner, to the Province of
Maryland where he served five years with Richard Hall of Calvert County.

"Then came Ninian Beall of Calvert County, planter, and proved his right
to 50 acres of land for his time in service, as military prisoner,
performed with Richard Hall of said county. This servitude which came to
him through the fortunes of war was an Honor." (From Liber 2, Folio 195,
Maryland Land Office, Jan. 16, 1957)

As Ninian Beall was responsible for about 200 immigrants coming to the
country, when Prince Georges County was created out of Calvert County,
over 7,000 acres of his property were found to be in the new county. On
part of this acreage, the District of Columbia is now located, an on
another part the famed "Dumbarton Oaks." His first tract of land was
called "Rock of Dumbarton."
This grant was received from Lord Baltimore and was for seven hundred and
ninety five acres.

The area in Maryland now included in the District of Columbia, in those
days before 1700 was called New Scotland Hundred, and was a part of
Charles County. This county was created by Lord Baltimore in 1658. It was
the property along the Potomac River from Wicomico "as high as the
settlements extend." New Scotland Hundred extended from Oxon Branch
(opposite Alexandria, Va.) to the falls of the Potomac. Charles Beall was
the pressmaster of this county. The area included:

"The Nock" - grant of 500 acres first warranted to Ninian Beall.
"Meurs" - 500 acres first granted to Ninian Beall, originally named
"Barbadoe" - first laid out or surveyed by Ninian Beall, 250 acres
"Inclosure" - patented on Oct. 2, 1687, 1503 acres surveyed for
Ninian Beall and by him taken up in 1687, and which was a tract now part
of the National Arboretum.

"Beall's Pleasure" - The house is up a narrow, private road on the left,
16.3 miles N.E. along Bladenton Road from Old Toll Gate, or at
Bladensburg. Rd. and H Street, but is visible from the main road. This
early colonial and brick house was built in 1795 by Benjamin Stoddard,
1st Secretary of the Navy, and confidential agent in securing rights for
the Capital City. This fine example of Georgian architecture was built
of brick burned at clay pits still visible on the grounds. The house was
erected on foundations of a still earlier house, probably one built by
Ninian Beall when he first patented the land and gave in the name in
"Mackall Place" - On R street between 28th and 29th in Georgetown.
Soon after 1717, George Beall came to live on his inheritance called the
Rock of Dumbarton, and this small structure may have been his first home
here. It consists of a large room with a huge fireplace which was still
standing when this description was written. Later, when the Rock of
Dumbarton was sold to make part of the City of Georgetown, Beall built,
about 1750, the large brick mansion at what is now 3033 N Street,
northwest of the oldest brick houses now in the District. This is the
house to which Jaqueline Kennedy and her children moved and in which
they lived for a year when they left the White House after the death of
President Kennedy.
"Ninian Beall's Pleasure Map" - Land around the headwaters of the
Anacostia had been patented in 1696 to Ninian Beall who sold it to Dr.
John Gerrard. Charles Calvert, descendant of the Lords Baltimore,
acquired it through marriage to Gerrard's daughter. Calvert's daughter
Eugenia sold 60 acres in 1742 for the town of Garrison's Landing.
"Dumbarton - Washington House" 1647 30th Street at R Street. Built
by Thomas Beall shortly after he inherited the Rock of Dumbarton from his
father George Sr. in 1784. At that time he gave his elder brother, George
Jr., the Beall
mansion on N Street. The new home "Dumbarton" went to Thomas' daughter
Elizabeth Ridley as a wedding present when she married George Corbin
Washington, great nephew of the President. It was inherited by their son,
Lewis Washington, who sold it to Elisha Riggs, co-founder with W. W.
Corccoran of Riggs National Bank.
"Inspection House for Tobacco" - Ninian Beall received the patent
for the Rock of Dumbarton in 1703. Some years later, George Gordon
acquired some of the land and also acquired "Knave's Disappointment' from
James Smith.
He renamed the land "Rock Creek Plantation."
"Rosedale," 3501 Newark, and "Woodley," 3000 Cathedral Ave. - Both
estates were part of a much larger tract, 1300 or 1400 acres west of Rock
Creek and extending beyond the Cathedral grounds, which George Beall
acquired in 1720 and described as an addition to the Rock of Dumbarton
grant to his father.
"Dumbarton House" Q street in Georgetown - This red brick mansion
was built by the Bealls and occupied by them until 1796. "Dumbarton"
later belonged to Joseph Nourse, first Register of Treasury, and to
Charles Carroll. It is now the headquarters for the National Society of
the colonial Dames of America. Dolly Madison fled here when the British
burned the White House in 1814.

A bronze plaque has been installed on a large oval rock, symbolic of the
"Rock of Dumbarton," in front of St. John's Episcopal
church in Georgetown, 3240 O Street N.W., with the following inscription:

"Colonel Ninian Beall, born Scotland, 1625, died Maryland 1717,
patentee of the Rock of Dumbarton; Member of the House of Burgesses;
Commander in Chief of the Provincial Forces of Maryland. In grateful
recognition of his services "upon all Incursions and Disturbances of
Neighboring Indians" the Maryland Assembly of 1699 passed an "Act of
Gratitude." This memorial erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the
District of Columbia, 1910.

Colonel Ninian Beall died at the age of 92 at Fife's Largo, named for the
place of his birth in Scotland. This was the home mentioned in his will
(1717) and was in Prince Georges County near Upper Marlboro. It is
believed that he is buried at Bacon Hall, another of his homes in Prince
Georges County.

HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0b-UNREGISTERED (5/28/97) on Mon Jun 23 12:44:48 1997.

Denise D. HALL

Family 1: William Oliver Beall JR.

|  |__
|--Denise D. HALL 
|   __


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0b-UNREGISTERED (5/28/97) on Mon Jun 23 12:44:48 1997.

Maynard C HOOK

Father: Benjamin HOOK
Mother: Emma BARTLETT

                  _Joseph HOOK ___
 _Benjamin HOOK _|
|                |_Rebecca BEALL _
|--Maynard C HOOK 
|                 ________________
|_Emma BARTLETT _|


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0b-UNREGISTERED (5/28/97) on Mon Jun 23 12:44:48 1997.


Family 1: Martha E. BEALL

|  |__
|--John TOTTY 
|   __


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0b-UNREGISTERED (5/28/97) on Mon Jun 23 12:44:48 1997.